Home
Limited Edition Art Prints
Art Prints
Full Book Catalog
Meerkats
Our Authors
How to Order
Submissions
Links
Contact Us

 

St. Joseph Hospital: "More than a Century of Caring"

Almost a hundred years after it was founded in 1914, the last chapter in the history of St. Joseph Hospital, Ottumwa, Iowa, is about to come to an end with the demolition of the hospital building.

The Sisters of the Humility of Mary started St. Joseph Hospital in 1914 in a former convent and school on East Fourth Street. In 1925, they constructed a new hospital facility at North Ash Street and East Alta Vista Avenue. That building served the community as St. Joseph Hospital until 1987, when it merged with Ottumwa Regional Health Center. Called the Alta Vista Site, the building continued to provide services and office space until 2012 when it was closed.

Full color and black and white illustrations recreate the hospital's century of caring for the residents of Ottumwa and Wapello County, Iowa.

Images from the Lemberger Collection

Photographer and archivist Michael W. Lemberger began collecting images at the age of eight then he discovered a cache of glass negatives in his great-aunt's attic. In the next 60 years he amassed more than a million images, including his own photographs and those of other professional and dedicated amateur photographers. The Lemberger Collection has been called the largest and best-documented privately-owned image collection in the world.

100 pages, more than 100 color and black and white illustrations, including photos of the chapel and stations of the cross

Purchase at Amazon

                              Copyright  PBL Limited                 Return to home page